Monday, March 24, 2014

Week of 3/24/14 Update

I hope everyone got the chance to enjoy the beautiful weather on Saturday! Our CRCT window is April 23-29. We will be taking the MAP test in the weeks after CRCT. I will keep you posted as I know the dates!

This week I am allowing students a substantial amount of time to continue researching and drafting their informational texts. The students were asked to choose a movement and discuss the driving forces behind its existence.  It has been so refreshing to see the students enjoy the researching process & identify the driving forces behind their movement. Some topics include: The Gold Rush, Locks of Love, Beads of Courage, Elephant Poaching, and many more! 


Here is the checklist that I will be introducing later in the week: 


Informational Writing Checklist
Central Idea: Behind every movement is a force that causes it.

*I have accurately used headings and subheadings to organize information throughout the text. _____

*I have used a variety of text features (glossary, table of contents, labels, pictures with captions, bolded text, etc.) _____

*I have used specific vocabulary to teach my reader everything I know about that heading or subheading. _____

*I have used correct spelling and used a dictionary when necessary. _____

*I have used correct capitalization and punctuation. _____

*I have a resource/bibliography page. _____


You can support at home by assisting with the editing/revising process. Please ask to see their writing journals! In social studies, we are discussing the Oregon Trail as well as some of the inventions during the time of westward expansion such as the steamboat, steam locomotive,and cotton gin.

In math, we're continuing converting units of measurement for length, weight, capacity, and time. We are also going to be integrating line plots into our extra thirty minutes each day. Check out http://studyjams.scholastic.com/studyjams/jams/math/measurement/converts-units-time.htm and http://studyjams.scholastic.com/studyjams/jams/math/data-analysis/line-plots.htm.

In science, we're studying simple machines. Check out http://www.edheads.org/activities/simple-machines/ and http://studyjams.scholastic.com/studyjams/jams/science/forces-and-motion/simple-machines.htm.



Have a great week! -Miss Ary

No comments:

Post a Comment